Apr 15, 2013

Paul unkert guitars

A Personal Overview From Paul Unkert on his New Guitars
With 39 years experience in the guitar industry, I hope this guitar that I have thought about for years and always wanted to build, will be a favorite to many people of all playing styles. I didn’t simply set out to build “just another“ guitar to try and sell to the market, but rather I wanted to make a guitar that truly sold itself. I wanted guitarists to pick up the guitar and play it – and I mean play jazz, thrash metal, rock and roll, r&b, etc.. – and say, "who makes this guitar? I need one for my collection!" I think we have accomplished this at UNK Guitars. In all my years in this industry, I have built, repaired and played every conceivable guitar known to man, and this is by far my favorite. Plus, it has my name on it!
This first aspect of the guitar that I concerned myself with, was the body design. I wanted to make a guitar that was light and well contoured for comfort. At the same time however, not eliminating too much wood so that it would not lose the sound characteristics of the wood chosen for each model. This body design is what allows this guitar to sound like the wood when played and not simply the electronics that are put onto it. I believe this is the true way to drive tone out of a guitar! This body design was taken from my early years at Kramer Guitars and BC Rich when we constructed similar guitars, but never really nailed it. I had to redesign it for better balance, form, cosmetics and playability, while keeping some of the historical aspects the same. This has allowed me to introduce these UNK models as “brand new vintage“ guitars. Because of this, we like to say "you can buy history!" The result of this body design? A guitar that is well balanced when on a strap, an extremely comfortable “belly cut“ that makes playing it while sitting down just as comfortable, and a design concept that has allowed me to drive the tone I wanted out of a guitar! Now you can too!
Another aspect of the guitar that I put a lot of thought into, was the tone woods I wanted to use. There are so many options, and I have worked with them all, but I settled on three types to use for my guitars. First, I chose POPLAR because of availability, paintability, and certainly for tone...as it was the choice of material for most of the Kramer "Frankenstein Strats" that I had made for Eddie Van Halen. Second, I went for MAHOGANY. Another favorite of mine that is also used for tone. Certainly for some of the outstanding finishes we can create with this material. And finally, KORINA. Again used for tone, workability, and that it dries faster than other species in our kiln, allowing us to buy this expensive and exotic lumber at a better price in its raw cut form
The second step to the equation of building the perfect guitar, was the design of the neck and the “neck pocket’. The first question to answer here was the never-ending saga of bolt-on versus neck through. I have built and played them both, and going with the bolt-on was a no brainier. The Bolt-on gave us more versatility in neck styles and materials that could be used. Additionally, I find that the relationship between a bolt-on and the body it is joined to, is much more symbiotic. What I mean in simple terms, is that it allows for the neck’s material and design to add to the guitar's sound and tone, along with the characteristics that come from the body naturally. Outside of just the design, one of the most important things I had to deal with was the neck and neck pocket fit. It was extremely important to me to make sure that the neck and its pocket were as tight as possible. I wanted wood to wood contact all around the pocket. To accomplish this, we use computer-aided machines to get the precise cut which gives us a perfect fit. In turn, this gives us as good a sounding guitar as possible. Even when compared to glue joint or neck through styles! Some of the other characteristics of the neck include
  • 1 - 11/16" wide nut which is a standard in the industry.
  • 14" radius that is comfortable to most people of all playing styles
  • 25" scale length. This has been a favorite of mine since 1978. I think we got it just right.
Once I had completed the design for the body and neck, I took my first big leap forward versus other guitars. I moved the bridge pick up closer to the neck to give the guitar a darker, boxier sound without losing the separation of having a two pick up guitar. This radical design change, also produces the same qualities regardless if it is a double pick-up or single pick-up configuration. Additionally, when the guitar is set-up as a double humbucker or double P90, it still drives that tone I was trying to achieve. In retrospect, I don’t why I didn’t do this a long time ago. To compliment the pick-up design I wanted to find the perfect stop tail bridge (Yes we do other tremolo systems, including a Floyd Rose) for my guitar. I chose the Wilkinson bridge. The main reason was of course having a high quality product on the instrument. Most importantly though, I wanted to give the player total control over action, intonation, tone, and ease of use. Even in the event of string breakage during performance.
Finally, the “Oh my!“ factor. The “Tuning Fork Headstock“. Someone had to have the bravado to manufacture the tuning fork headstock out of material different from aluminum. Something I had proven to myself not to work. Not once, but twice in my thirty-seven years of guitar making. However, the new the design would add something special to the sound of the guitar in addition to just a recognizable headstock. I agree that it looks cool, but it sounds even better! So with my understanding and faith in wood products, plus utilizing the strength of a 1" 1/16th phenolic plastic veneer, a graph tech nut, and no mechanical devices under the nut area, the neck will give the player the same volume, tone, and sustain out of every note from the lowest to highest notes on the register. It actually makes the guitar sing!
Paul Unkert


Taken from Unk guitars

No comments:

Post a Comment